Thursday, March 13, 2008

Native American Literature

GRAY WOLF'S DAUGHTER
BY HINOOK-MAHIWI-KILINAKA

"The girl's mother came, after a little while, to look on with the rest. As she passed a group of women she heard one tell the others that Gray Wolf's pretty daughter was going away to school. They all exclaimed with regretful voices, and one said: "Such a graceful dancer! Why does her mother let her go?"
Gray Wolf's wife thought her daughter was not as gay as she was used to be at such festivals, but to the mother's eyes she seemed more beautiful than ever. How could she let her go!"



Reflection:
I chose this piece of literature because I feel that I can relate to the girl who has to leave her family. Although I have not left yet and I will not be as young as she, I still have to leave my family to go away to school in the coming years. I am looking forward to going away to school but I will miss my family terribly. This piece shows the difficulty that young Native American girls had to go through to get an education and because of that difficulty it gives a feeling of frustration for the girls and their families that they must leave. I feel sympathy for the family of Gray Wolf's daughter, letting her leave has made many other tribe members question them and their decision to let their daughter enter into the white mans world.


Dear Diary:
I am very excited to be going to school this week! However I can tell that my family, although they gave their permission, is having second thoughts of letting me go. I am really sad to be leaving all my family and friends and being able to dance in this last ritual is bitter sweet, I used to enjoy dancing and many think I am good but now I would just really like to focus on my studies, which many can not understand. Sometimes I really do not understand people in my tribe, why they do not approve of educating their daughters, it makes me sort of mad and I wish my family wasn't looked down upon now because of my decision to become educated. I just hope that they will put all of this behind them and that my family will one day be okay with me not being at home.
Sincerely,
Gray Wolf's Daughter

5 comments:

Rachel said...

When I read this selection my initial thought was not about the girl being sad about leaving her family, but rather, how it was almost like a loss of the Native American culture due to the changing times. In the past the women of the village were not sent to school, but instead they danced and did other tasks unique to the Native American culture. Now their ways of life are forced to change and they must go to school so that they may conform to the present society. Some of the elders in the village are confused by the concept of sending such a beautiful young girl off to school because it is against their customs. The confusion over the drastic change is what I picked up on when I read this selection.

Brittany Artale said...

After reading this story I didn’t consider the fact that I would be leaving to go to school like you did. I find this very interesting. I also agree with the sympathy that you felt for the family, because that is depressing. At the same time I also felt that the family was trying to accomplish something, for the child so she did not have to endure the pain they did.

Ms. Micallef said...

Steph
I like rachel's comment a lot - some good points - I would also like to see if in your diary - you can extend this story to deal with the girl's reaction to the white man coming to the new land - this is the piece that needs to be at the heart -because it is about the american dream. Please consider revision. Good job - 90.
Ms. Mic

Brittany Artale said...

Thank you for the suggestions and the ideas they helped me to improve my blog.

Kyle Lowers said...

I like how you reflected on how the girl just wants to find acceptance within her community. I found it interesting that her family choose to educate their daughter instead of keeping her locked into her heritage. I think it was a brave step the family took because they knew they would recieve disapproval from their peers.