Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Of Plymouth Plantation"

"Being thus arrived in a good harbor, and brought safe to land, they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of Heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean, and delivered them from all the perils and miseries thereof, again to set their feet on the firm and stable earth, their proper element."

Reflection:
In coming to a new world the settlers had to establish a safe environment but the Indians made that very difficult. When the settlers first arrived they made the mistake of not building a protection system. By not building a system they left themselves vulnerable to the Indians, which they took advantage of.

Dear Diary:
We have just arrived to the New World and we are all very tired from our journey, we all give thanks to God for getting us here safely. We had lost many on the voyage over and are not so encourage seeing that it is fall here and there is no possibility for food. The natives are starting to become more courageous and have started attacking our people. We all are scared and I don't know if I can handle no one doing anything any longer. I know we killed many of them but this is getting ridiculous.

3 comments:

Brittany Artale said...

I like your reflection alot, but i think it would be interesting if you added the Native American's aspect to it. For instance you mainly focused on how the settelers felt, and maybe you could have added how the Native Americans felt. I also think you should add some more reference to God in you diary,because it has good content, it just doesnt sound very much like a settelers. I also really like you picture, because it gives you a very good example of what is happening.

Kyle Lowers said...

Steph I enjoyed your reflection and diary, if I may suggest going more in depth and tying it in with the piece you selected. Double check your punctuation. Nice work.

Rachel said...

Steph, good job on your reflection, however, the excerpt that you picked reflected the Purtians love of god and your reflection did not show this aspect of the story. Your diary was good, but you should double check your grammer and word usage.